150g aduki (adzuki) beans – soaked overnight
2 cloves garlic (or to taste) crushed or grated
vegetables of choice – sweet peppers are good
seasoning to taste – I use yeast extract and some mixed herbs
olive oil for frying
around 4 potatoes – enough to cover filling with mash (you can use a mixture of root vegetables)
1. Drain the adzuki beans, rinse, cover with fresh water and boil until tender
2. Boil the potatoes until soft and mash with some vegan margarine
3. Dice the onions and other vegetables and fry in a little olive oil (do not overheat the oil) with the garlic and seasoning.
4. Add a little water to moisten the mix. If using yeast extract add it now 🙂
5. Add the cooked beans and cook for a few minutes to combine the flavours
6. When cooked check seasoning and adjust to taste.
7. Place the mixture into a baking dish and spread the mashed potato on top.
8. Use a fork to roughen the top of the potato
9. Dot with vegan margarine
10. Bake in a hot oven until nicely browned on top
11. Serve with steamed green vegetables and/or salad
Portions can be frozen if required