This recipe has been forwarded by Alex Cinquegrana. This is her tasty version of this recipe. You will find many more recipes and links in this section and more will be added all the time. Happy cruelty free cooking. Ital is Vital!
Ingredients [for 4 people]
- 3 cups of basmati brown rice
- 5 cups water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala (optional)
- tbsp curry leaves (even dried ones)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1tsp turmeric
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Soak the rice 30 minutes before cooking.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a small sauce pan and roast the peanuts with a pinch of salt.
- Remove the peanuts and fry all the spices, except for the turmeric, for 2 minutes over low heat.
- Add the turmeric and fry for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat and stir-fry the garlic with the ginger for no more than 1 minute.
- Add the rice and keep stirring until completely coated and flowered (about 2 minutes).
- Add the water and salt and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for approximately 30 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed.
- Let it rest for 5 more minutes and then add the spiced oil and lemon juice.
- Stir until all the rice is brightly yellow and add peanuts.
It’s delicious served hot or cold and we’d never say “it’s enough”. Too yummy!