- Oil for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 mushrooms sliced or 2 large carrots grated
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1¼ cups (10 fl oz, 300 ml) vegetable stock or water / a solution of yeast extract and water can be used
- 1½ cups (6 oz, 175 g) ground nuts
- 3 cups (6 oz, 175 g) breadcrumbs or use oats for a gluten free alternative (pic on right is with oats)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. dried herbs
- Salt, pepper and other seasoning to taste
- Sliced tomatoes for topping
- Oven: Pre-heat to 375F, 190C.
- Stew the onion in the oil for about five minutes or until soft.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour on top. Stir well.
- Add the stock or water, stirring all the time. Bring the mixture to the boil, and simmer slowly for two or three minutes.
- Stir in the nuts, breadcrumbs, soy sauce, herbs and seasoning.
- Turn the mixture into an oiled oven dish.
- Top with sliced tomatoes.
- Dot with vegan margarine.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
Portions can be frozen if required